|FWSIM $2,500 University Scholarship Submission
FWSIM (Fairfield / Westchester Society of Information Management) once again is sponsoring our annual University Scholarship with the winner receiving a $2,500 award toward their further education. This program was established in 2014 to promote and reward academic excellence in any of the STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering or Math) fields of study and to enable education of newer generations pursuing our profession (or those related). All qualifying members and their children are invited to apply for this scholarship.
This scholarship is yet another a member benefit and at the same time encourages the engagement and interest of the next generation in technology, its potential, and our profession overall. We are actively working to make the overall program more relevant and beneficial, and are already incorporating some changes with more to come! If you have ideas on how it can improve further, let me know!
Detailed instructions and Q&A are below:
How Much? Award Amount is $2,500 (a single disbursement per winner)
When to Submit? All applications must be received between January 1st, 2020 and midnight (EST) January 31st, 2020
How will it be announced? All applicants will be notified of the results in early April. The winning FWSIM member or parent should attend the April meeting if possible, however it is not necessary.
Who is eligible? <UPDATED!> All criteria below must be met:
How and what to submit? All qualifying submissions must have the following 3 components:
- FWSIM Member in good standing or their child (no A/R balances)
- Actively enrolled college student (part-time or full-time):
- Having achieved at least 45 total college credits
- Demonstrating a preliminary pursuit of their first Bachelor degree in any of the areas of STEM (including MIS/computer related).
- Applicant may not be a prior recipient of this FWSIM Award
"What inspires you about technology or other STEM disciplines and its potential to impact our society? Describe how you have personally demonstrated your passion for this both in and out of school."
- Application: Completed application FWSIM_University_Scholarship_Application.pdf
- Transcript: Legible and complete copy of college transcript as of December 31st, 2019 showing a cumulative GPA of 3.2 or higher.
- Essay: Attachment of 1,500-2,500 word essay on the following topic:
All 3 components must be emailed to both contacts below within the submission time-frame listed above.
If you (the applicant) do not receive an email confirmation of submission receipt, you must contact me via email or phone (203)794-4730 as soon as possible to prevent your submission from being lost via spam or other email filters.
- FWSIM Scholarship Chair - Anna Ransley, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Chapter Administrator - Joan Tancredi, email@example.com
How is a winner selected? - FWSIM members will evaluate and rank the essays; the award will be based upon GPA (on a 4.0 basis) and essay ranking. In the case of a tie, the award will be shared among the winners.
What is new this year? <UPDATED!> A number of changes were implemented effective immediately. They include modifications to the application eligibility requirements, essay topic and evaluation criteria. If you have ideas about how we may improve the program, please reach out to the Scholarship Chair to share your feedback.
What if I have more questions? Please reach out to me via firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
FWSIM Scholarship Chair – Board of Directors