Getty Images - Cloud Migrations and More
Real-World successes and challenges
October 16, 2019
Seattle Yacht Club 5:30PM - 8:30PM
Hybrid-cloud, public cloud, cloud continuity, and cloud vendor lock-in are common industry terms. As business leaders and technologist, we understand the complexity of migrations including:
- Foreseen benefits like pace of deployment, pace of innovation, and reduced infrastructure management
- Risks associated with technology change, application performance and system stability
- Unrealized promises based on ambitious goals, leadership over-promising or the spread of misinformation
- Budget challenges like P&L cloud autonomy, cost management, and justifying exponential increases in operating expenses
- Building the spend discipline to afford the migration thereafter
Learn about real-world cloud migration stories that exhibited the above complexities. Learn how to manage false expectations, define a business case for cloud migrations and set upfront expectations that support your role in the organization. Join us as Steve Talt, Senior Director Systems at Getty Images, shares his experiences, successes and reflections of their journey to the cloud.
Steve Talt is a Senior Director of Cloud Engineering and Operations at Getty Images where he leads a team that provides cloud governance and centralized devops services for the visual content company. He has been with Getty for the past 6 years and has spent the last 2 years building the cloud migration business case, executing a full migration, and optimizing spend and automation. He has held various leadership roles over his 25+ year career at T-mobile, JPMorgan Chase, eCash Technologies, Imperial Bank, US Bank, and a number of consulting companies. He has a mix of technical skills (he is a AWS Certified Solutions Architect and writes Go code for fun) and business acumen (he lives in spreadsheets and keeps a tight grip on AWS Spend) and enjoys using both sides of the force.