Individuals interested SIM membership in the Detroit chapter are required to join the local chapter and automatically become members of SIM International. SIM chapters maintain their own membership criteria, which, in some cases, are more restrictive than SIM International's requirements.
Local chapters drive SIM; we know that technology alone can never replace human interaction. The Detroit chapter offer IT leaders the unique experience of networking with peers in their own region via educational, networking, and other special events throughout the year. An active philanthropic effort engages with various local charitable and educational organizations through volunteerism and other support.
SIM Detroit has approximately 175 active members from 125 organizations. Members' companies are generally located in the greater Detroit area, but some members come from as far as the southwest side of the state and the Toledo, OH, area.SIM International
Joining SIM connects you with top IT leaders in the industry, including: CIOs, senior IT executives, prominent academicians, consultants, and other top IT professionals.
Why invest in membership? There are many other benefits to being a SIM member, such as:
- Local meetings and events - with 43 SIM chapters, members around the country have multiple opportunities to network, exchange information, and learn about what's new in the industry.
- Discounts to regional and national event - meet other IT executives at a regional CIO Forum or at SIM's premier annual event, SIM Connect Live.
- Professional support - SIM's Members-In-Transition (MIT) Program is our go-to resource whether you are in transition or simply keeping an eye out for your next opportunity. The MIT Program offers top-notch resources from major search firms, tips for managing your career, and much more. SIM members can participate in the weekly conference calls and email groups where leads and advice are shared.
- Special interest working groups - our forums a powerful way to gain a professional edge through collaboration with peers across industries and geographies. The following groups are available to SIM members:
- Targeted industry insights - SIM's
- Advanced Practices Council (APC) is a community of CIOs who commission academic research on IT management topics. APC research reports feature real-world case studies and applications, providing important actionable insights that are made available to all SIM members.
- Specialized journal - MIS Quarterly Executive (MISQE) is a journal dedicated to publishing high-quality research that IT executives can use. This is not the theoretical stuff of academic journals, this publication grew out of the need for current, practical research. SIM members have access to the entire MISQE Reference Library, which contains a listing of all articles published since its inception in June 2002.
- Leadership development - SIM's Regional Leadership Forum (RLF) is an intensive, nine-month program focused on creating authentic leaders. It is designed to help CIOs develop their high potential IT leaders/managers. SIM members receive a discount.
- Opportunities to give back - SIM offers an active STEM outreach program to support the future IT workforce development. Chapters have sponsored STEM initiatives from kindergarten through college. This outreach has drawn almost $200,000 in annual donations for an assortment of national programs.
- Weekly and monthly newsletters - SIM Connect tackles today's most relevant issues, gathered from sources like The Associated Press, The New York Times, Financial Times and the leading industry publications. SIM News Extra is a monthly newsletter, which contains a compilation of association news, articles of interest, interviews and industry insights.
- Research library - the SIM online library contains information on hundreds of relevant topics gathered from a variety of sources. It is made exclusively available to SIM members. Examples include:
- White papers focused on IT thought leadership provided by SIM partners
- Submissions for the SIM Paper Awards Competition, which is SIM's annual research contest that has attracted nationally recognized researchers for several years
- Working group deliverables
- Past annual conference presentations
- Past academic workshop presentations
For more information on Detroit's membership criteria and review processes, please contact the SIM Detroit Membership Chair, Tom Keuten by completing a "Contact Us